Sensational Finds: 10 Ways to Use Baking Soda On Your Body and Home

Thursday, July 18, 2013

10 Ways to Use Baking Soda On Your Body and Home




Lets talk about an amazing do-all product that cost less than a buck, yes $1! What is this magical product that cost $1... Baking Soda! I know we all have probably seen it used in the fridge, but It does way more than you'd ever expect. I've been using it in some many different ways that I just had to share. 

Cleaning Tips

  •  Cleaning your bling- Create a paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water to an old toothbrush and brush your rings clean, rinse with warm water and pat dry. The amount of shine that I have after cleaning my rings is insane. I also have the standard diamond cleaner but I swear this is just as good!

  •  Cleaning your dishes- You can apply water and baking soda mixture to any dish with stuck on food, let stand for 15 minutes then wipe clean. Also you can sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge to hand wash your dishes.

             - For the dishwasher, add baking soda to your wash to give an added boost. You can also run the dishwasher with only baking soda to clean it and remove any odor. 

  • Cleaning your stove: I've always used those harsh oven cleaners that burn the heck out of your hands, but not anymore. What I do now is spray the stove with my kitchen cleaner, then sprinkle the baking soda on top of the cleaner, let that sit for 15 mins then scrub clean with a sponge. I swear this works just as well as the harsh oven cleaners!

  • Cleaning kitchen cabinets: for the cabinets that have that gunk and grease on them all you have to do is create a paste of 3 parts baking soda 1 part water. Apply the paste to the surface and let sit for 15 minutes. Scrub cabinet with a damp sponge. This will also work for any area that has tough stains.

  • Clean your clothes: apply the baking soda paste to any stain to pretreat you clothes. You can also add it to your load of wash to help get whites whiter.


Health and beauty
  • Exfoliate: For a daily light exfolient sprinkle bit of baking soda on top of your face wash, then wash your face as normal.
                 For a deeper exfoliation apply the baking soda paste (3 parts baking soda 1 part water) to the entire face. Use circular motions for about 1- 2 mins, then wipe clean with a warm towel. 
                Body Exfoliating: while in the shower use your hand to apply the baking to soda to your arms, legs,  tummy and back in circular motions, then rinse. Doing this to your legs before shaving will give you a great shave.

  • Clean your mouth: Baking soda can be used to clean your teeth, but can naturally whiten your teeth. Simply use baking soda and your toothbrush. I will say that this can be quite harsh and taste GROSS, so I'm not a huge fan of this.
  • Antacid- Mix baking soda with about 4-5oz of water and drink. I can't stand to do this, but my hubby has and says it works wonders!
  • Bathtub soak: add 1/2 cup to your bath water for a nice soak. It will leave your skin super soft.


Oooh, please lets not even get started on all the fun science experiments we've done using baking soda. I'll leave that for another post.
If you have any other uses for baking soda I'd love to hear them! Please share them with me and I'll give 'em a try! 

Baking soda cleans like a dream and I highly recommend you give at least on of these a try! Cleaning my ring and adding it to my face wash, are my very favorite!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great tips Sarah - I came here looking for stove cleaning info but there is so much more! I'm going to try this and take some before and after photos. I am hoping to get a professional looking result using backing soda and maybe a little vinegar. In the past I just searched oven cleaning solihull or oven cleaner solihull and got someone to come do it, but since I have done some reading around the web and found a number of posts just like this, so I'm looking forward to trying it myself!

    ReplyDelete